A Wonderful Mistake

San Francisco Peaks and Milky Way

Milky Way over San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff Arizona

Not long ago, I was told that there was a chance of seeing the Northern Lights over the northern horizon in Flagstaff, Arizona. I didn’t hear the news until 8:30 at night and the article said the best chance to see it was right after sunset, so I rushed over the closest spot I knew of where I could see the northern sky above the San Francisco Peaks. I was hoping I hadn’t missed it.

I’ve never seen the Aurora Borealis in person, and I thought it would be so cool to make a time lapse video of the Northern Lights the very first time I saw them. I didn’t notice anything unusual while I was setting up, but when I first took a test shot, I saw a very faded green area over the San Francisco Peaks. I thought it might be too dim to be seen with naked eyes, but hoped the camera would be sensitive enough to pick it up. I hurried to set up my cameras and proceeded to run them for 3 hours. I didn’t see any colorful lights in the sky while I was waiting for the camera to finish, but I was imagining that the faded green light would wave like a curtain blown by the wind once I made a video.

When I came back home and processed all the frames and created the time lapse video the next morning, there was nothing moving except millions of stars circling around the North Star. The faded greenish light was just the color of the sky. Oh well, maybe next time.

But that night, when I was packing up my equipment, I noticed that the Milky Way was over the San Francisco Peaks. I made some still images of it. It turned out that it was my favorite shot of the night. It even made me go back to the same spot and spend over night in the car to make a time lapse video of Milky Way over the peaks.

Not what I expected but it was time well spent.

Tags: , , , , ,

Post Author

This post was written by who has written 3 posts on Keiji Iwai Photography.

Keiji Iwai was born and raised in Osaka, Japan. He began taking photographs at 13 and knew immediately that this would be a life-long passion. He first came to the United States as a high school exchange student in Montana. He later returned to the U.S. to obtain a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree at Northern Arizona University. Keiji has received numerous international awards, and his work has been exhibited in galleries and museums throughout the US. He currently resides in Flagstaff.

7 Responses to “A Wonderful Mistake”

1. i am so bored April 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Just the little pick me up I needed during my stress filled work day. Many thanks!

2. jak szybko schudnac June 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Thanks for the strategies you have contributed here. In addition, I believe usually there are some factors which will keep your car insurance policy premium down. One is, to take into consideration buying cars and trucks that are inside the good set of car insurance organizations. Cars which have been expensive are more at risk of being lost.Aside from that insurance coverage is also good value of the car, so the higher priced it is, then higher the particular premium you only pay.online shop from china

3. find contractor new York June 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

I regard something really interesting about your web site so I saved to favorites .

4. party rentals in ny June 21, 2012 at 2:35 am #

I do like the way you have presented this specific problem plus it does offer me a lot of fodder for thought. However, through what I have witnessed, I just wish when the responses pile on that people remain on point and in no way start on a tirade involving some other news of the day. Anyway, thank you for this fantastic piece and though I do not really agree with the idea in totality, I value the point of view.

5. regim hotelier bucuresti ieftin June 27, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Really impressed with the website, sincerely, Dr. Smith,

6. Download full music albums July 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Great site you got here i will be back for more.

7. Junko July 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

I see a lot of interesting posts on your page. You have to spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is a tool
    that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in couple of minutes, just type in google – k2
    unlimited content